Thursday, July 13, 2017

Of Children, Theology, and Disney



A couple Sundays ago we actually got to church for mass really early. After we sat down Adeline (3 year old) asked me, "Where is Jesus". I explained to her that Jesus is in the tabernacle in the form of bread. She of course followed up with, "How is he bread". I then explained how he promised to be with us forever after he ascended into heaven and one of the ways is in the Eucharist. When the priest calls down the Holy Spirit (when he puts his hadn't over the bread and wine) they change into Jesus. It still looks, tastes, smells, feels like bread and wine but it's essence, what it is now, is Jesus. And when we consume him he becomes part of us and we are to take him to other people and be Jesus in the world.

Elanor (5 year old), who was listening in, said "Like what Mufasa said?". "How do you mean", I asked. She explained, "Well, Mufasa told Simba that when they die they go into the ground and become part of the earth, then the plants eat them, then the animals eat them, and they are part of the animals and  circle of life like that."

With my mind blown about how she made those connections I replied, "Yeah, it's kinda like that."

Many people want to dumb down the faith and maybe even not try to explain difficult teachings to their kids. But in my experience they can grasp it. Our kids already grasp complex. Bishop Barron speaks about a daughter of someone at Word On Fire that can explain the entire main plot and story of the main Star Wars storyline complete with names of planets and characters.


"People say, “Oh Father, you can’t expect the kids today to learn the Bible.” There was a 9-year-old girl, the daughter of someone who works in our Word on Fire office. She came in one day – a real bright kid. And she has watched all the Star Wars movies, all six of them. And, honest to God, this kid could give you chapter and verse of the entire Star Wars saga. I can say Han Solo and Princess Leia. I mean, she’s way beyond that. She gives you every little detail of the Star Wars saga. Don’t tell me kids can’t learn the Bible. Don’t tell me they can’t learn every detail of the Great Story that really matters. In fact, the best of the Star Wars stories is an imitation of the Bible. So learn it and teach the kids and let them know who Jesus is." - Bishop Barron

I have a teen who explained the entire plot also with names of characters, tech, etc of Halo. My intern and I sat there for about an hour and a half listening to him. And he told it so well it was really fascinating. What I thought I knew about Halo was only the surface.

We send them to school to learn complicated subjects English, Math, Science, other languages, but the intricaces of the faith can wait? What if we really taught our kids the faith, our theology, salvation history? What if they could share their faith with their friends just like the share about Star Wars, Halo, Marvel and DC movies? Sharig their faith in an engaging and captivating way? Hmm, what a great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment