Thursday, July 13, 2017

Of Children, Theology, and Disney PART II



This past Sunday my girls and I were outside testing out our new slip and slide. I told them that we needed to go in and get ready for mass. My oldest Elanor, 5 years old, asked if we could just go the next day and keep playing. I told her that it was Sunday and that meant that we went to mass. There was mass on other days but Sunday was our requirement as Catholics. We were to keep the Sabbath day holy and as Catholics that’s how we do it as a universal family, we go to mass.

She then asked why we could to other days and I told her in the Church’s wisdom mass was offered daily, except Good Friday. I told her that we tried to go as often as possible because the more time we spend with Jesus, the more we come to know him and love him and then we are able to know and love our neighbor and even enemies more. “Loving enemies is hard and we need Jesus to help us with that,” I told her. She then said, “Like in Tangled.” “What do you mean,” I asked. She then said, “Like Mother Gothel. It must have been hard for Rapunzel to love Mother Gothel.”


Kids know what is right and wrong. They can even tell you immediately after something they’ve done if it was right or wrong. They know what love is. I’m learning as I continue to parent these intuitive souls that very little escapes their eyes and minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment