Monday, December 16, 2013

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Collateral Damage



I realized today how little actual TV I’ve been watching when I found out that one of the year’s largest prime-time events that annually tops the ratings and attracts the advertiser-sought 18-49 demographic by the  millions was happening tonight. I became aware of this event when I saw this empowering article from Life Teen:R.I.P. Self-Esteem: On the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show . The Victoria’s Secret Fashion show has been going on for 18 years since 1995.

While scrolling down my Facebook wall I saw the confirmation of what Emily Wilson mentioned in her article, women gathering together for viewing parties all over the world. I shared this article on my Facebook page and it received multiple comments. The synthesis of the comments is an agreement about the article’s point but the commenters would still watch to see the art and fashion.

As referenced in the article, it is possible for women to watch this program and enjoy it while not having their self-esteem affected. I will concede that it is entirely possible for a woman to watch this solely for the appreciation of the fashion. I am fully on the side of Emily’s article but I want to approach this from a different angle. For those women whose self-esteem isn’t affected, those who watch in appreciation of the art and fashion, for those who may even say they are encouraged by the models to be healthier, do you watch the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show with the men you care about present?

For those women who chose to view the program, was your husband around, was your brother, father, male friend, cousin, nephew, or any other male in your life around? If so, do you know their struggles and desires to live a chaste life or not? When I was dating my wife we had many great conversations about each sex’s struggle with chastity. My wife would ask me if it was really that hard for men to keep a chaste mind and lifestyle. She was fully taken aback when I described to her the daily, hourly, by the minute struggles men endure. Everything and anything can and is advertised using sex. When we browse the internet, when we walk through the mall, when we drive past billboards along the high way, we are inundated by society using our concupiscence and fighting against our desire for chastity to sell a product and make a buck.

So I ask again, were any men in your life around? When it comes to fashion, the way we dress, the things we like to do or watch that may be questioned as drawing others into sin, the common choice of defense is, “I’m not responsible for their sin, lust, etc.” But, am I my brother’s keeper? That was Cain’s question to God after taking his brother’s life. God’s answer, banishment, was too much to bear according to Cain. So yes, we are our brother’s keeper. Is your husband working to be a chaste loving man? Was watching the fashion show worth tempting him? Was watching it worth possibly causing your little brother, cousin, relative to drift into lust? Was it worth the effect it may have on other married men present that would directly affect his marriage?

I’m not placing judgment. I’m not saying that women that watched the show are bad people. I truly believe that the majority of women don’t fully grasp men’s struggles for chastity. I would bet that most women did not realize they may have been giving the men in their lives an open invitation to lust.

As mentioned in the Life Teen article, women want to be empowered and respected and not objectified. But, when a woman sits with a man to watch something like this, has it on as if there is nothing wrong, or even goes as far as to tell the man she does mind if he looks at this or any other source of possible temptation to lust, she is giving him permission to objectify all women including herself.

I’ve personally had to struggle with how my actions may affect others. At a certain time in my life I looked back on when I was not living a life of holiness and I was terrified by how I may have caused others to go astray. Christ’s warning against this convicts the heart, “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. Woe to the world because of things that cause sin! Such things must come, but woe to the one through whom they come!” Matt. 18:6-7. My hope and prayer is that this post does not hurt or offend but provides another perspective, one that may not have been thought about.

No comments:

Post a Comment