Friday, December 9, 2016

Beginning of Our New Adventure

*I wrote this back in August


So we are in the midst of our fundraising and on the cusp of starting our mission at Shrine of the True Cross
in Dickinson, TX. It's been a trying and busy time for us. We're a little nervous since I've received my last paycheck. But, we're still at peace and excited to start this new chapter, this new adventure in our lives.

I do have to say though, fundraising has been fun. I did not expect that. I worked at a nonprofit that lived on people's support, but I had no part in development. But, I did learn something about development/fundraising: If you really believe in what you are doing, you should have no shame in asking for support for it. Now that's true, but that doesn't take the butterflies away, especially in your first few meetings. But I have to say my favorite things are sharing our passion for what we are starting and how we got here, and getting to be with people. We get to sit down with friends, acquaintances, old employers, etc, catch up, break bread, share coffee, share life together. Whether the person tells us yes they will support us and sign up on the spot or they tell us no because they don't believe in giving to church things, we get to spend time with people we love.

I do have to admit though, that there was a moment when I thought, "I'm asking people for money. I'm asking people for money to help my family live while other people are working 9 to 5s to earn that same money. Is this right?" But the reality is, I'm doing something that others aren't. I'm doing something that others aren't willing to do. The ministry I'll be doing isn't my job. Well, yeah it is, but I get to do my passion so it doesn't feel like one. Yet, my mission isn't what puts food on the table. The fundraising is what puts food on the table. The support from people that truly believe in what we are doing is what puts food on the table and eventually a roof over our heads. My job, is fundraising. My job is telling people about how we are dedicating our lives to doing something that others won't do and that they can join us in that by helping us live so we can do that.

But in reality, it isn't only monetary support that we are gaining. The blessings and wisdom I/we have received has been surprising. We've made connections with people through others, we've had people telling us that they are willing to help in multiple ways, we've even had people go out of their way to bless us in pretty large ways that are not monetary.

It's definitely a humbling experience. It's a lesson in patience. It's a training field for working. Someone told me they couldn't imagine fundraising for a family of 4. I said, "Neither can I!" So here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment