Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Back to Art

I used to draw. I don’t remember what got me started, but I used to draw all of the time. I enjoyed art, creating and admiring. It’s actually this appreciation that got me interested in comic books. I never followed comic books correctly as in following the storylines. I went to the comic store, found the most interesting cover based on the illustration (I did have my favorites though, X-Men, Spiderman, Superman, etc), and I’d buy that one. I also, used to collect comic books.

I used to listen to and discover a lot of music. I would look in the cd booklet, turn to the thank yous, and look up all the bands that that particular band or musician was thanking. I also used to play guitar a lot.

I realized a few years ago that I had cut a lot of art out of my life. I stopped drawing and guitar because I just stopped taking the time. I stopped collecting comic books because when I moved to Texas I just never bothered to find a store and pick it back up. I stopped buying music because I just got really cheap. None of these are good excuses.

But why  has this come up?  Why has it bothered me so much that I let these things fade out of my life?  I think I realized how much I missed them due to the reminders I receive daily of friends talking about new bands they’ve discovered and the explosion of super hero movies, to name a few.

I think I realized my loss of art is when I’d spend so much time not making art. I’d find myself just skimming the internet and social media, binging on Netflix, watching Youtube video after Youtube video. And don’t get me wrong, movies, and tv, and videos can be powerful art. I guess you could say I was taking part in the art by appreciating it, but there is something about being involved in the art, creating, that is healing, invigorating, and holy.

So I have begun taking steps to bring art back into my life. I started this blog, for one, but another step was to get back into comics. I honestly think God wanted me back there. He put quite a few people in my life who are fans and who read comics. The conversations I’d have with these people weren’t juvenile discussions of muscles and powers, but they went deep into character, plot, and intention. I’m following multiple stories and appreciating the art, the story, the creativity, and the ability for this one comic company to weave so many stories within one big event throughout multiple different titles. And honestly, it has been a great source of release for me. There have been many nights where to unwind I go to the quietest part of the house and enter Marvel’s Battleworld and see what Old Man Logan is doing, or how is Colossus going to save his sister, or how is Dr. Doom going to keep control as Battleworld’s god.

Art saves. Art teaches. Art heals. As a Catholic I can look back over the history of the Church and see the power of art. The paintings, catacombs, manuscripts, and cathedrals all had one purpose, and that purpose was to bring people closer to God. They were meant to teach the faith to an illiterate world. God is an artist. Just look around and listen. Birds singing. The roar of the waves at a beach. The view from every mountain top. Let’s take part. Let’s create. Let’s save.

Check out these two stories. One is about a mother and her tattoos. The other is a four part series by Scott Erickson. It’s a really powerful take on art and it’s power. Aside from disagreeing with his tired religion rant in the final episode, it’s a beautiful series. I highly encourage you to read and watch.





No comments:

Post a Comment